By default, Bookly uses the native WordPress function wp_mail() to send all email notifications. However, you can choose SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) as your mail gateway for sending emails to your customers and employees.
- Go to Settings > General > Mail gateway. Select SMTP in the dropdown.
- Fill in your credentials in the fields. Each email provider may have different configurations. See below the settings you can use for one of the most popular mail services.
- Click Test to check the work of the connection.
Gmail SMTP Settings
Port: 587 (or 465 using SSL encryption)
Username: Your Gmail account email address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org)
Password: App password should be generated in your Google account (see below how to do it)
Yahoo Mail SMTP Settings
Username: Your Yahoo Mail account email (e.g., email@example.com)
Password: App password should be generated in your Yahoo account
Hotmail SMTP Settings
Username: Your Hotmail account email (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org)
Password: App password should be generated in your Outlook account
AOL SMTP Settings
Username: Your AOL screen name
Password: App password should be generated in your AOL account
How to generate an app password for Gmail
Note: Before creating an app password in Gmail, you must turn on Google's 2-Step Verification.
1. Log in to your Gmail account.
2. Open App password in your security settings.
3. Click on the Select App dropdown, select Other (Custom name) option.
4. Enter the name (e.g., ‘Bookly SMTP’) and click Generate.
5. Copy the app password and use it the Bookly Settings > General > Mail gateway > SMTP > Password.
Notifications: Overview – learn all about types of messages Bookly can send.
Customize Notifications – see how to personalize your notification template.